PLACES WORTH VISITING

Auroville



Located 10 kms North of Pondicherry town, Auroville is envisioned as a universal town, where people from different nationalities, faiths and beliefs, can live in peace and harmony.

The construction of this 'universal town' was started in 1968 under the guidance of the mother, a paries- Born painter-musician who become sri Aurobindo's disciple and close companion from 1924 till his death in 1950. The development of this Utopia is still in progress. Several countries have offered to set up permanent pavilions, reflecting the culture and ethos of their countries.


The French Heritage

Shri Aurobindo Ashram Shri Aurobindo, the great seer, poet and prophet of the twentieth century, made Pondicherry his home from 1910 till his death in 1950. His vision and ideals continue to draw People from all over the world.

Pondicherry Museum

On display are the findings of Arikamedu , the chola bronzes and sculptures, glimpses Of French heritage, specimens of modern and traditional handicraft, paintings, armoires, carvings and many other things of historical interest.

Chunnambar Resort

Water Sports Centre Known for its virgin beaches and backwaters, chunnaamber has water sports Centre which offers exciting boating experiences. It is also great tourist place

Botanical Garden


Established by C.S Perrotet in 1826, it preserves a large Varity of exotic species of plants from all over India and abroad.

Villianur Temple


Sri Gokilambal Thirukameswarar tamale, architecturally the finest in pondicherry, is located 9.5 kms away. During may- June, a ten - day annual festival (Brahmothsavam) is held here which attracts hundreds of devotees. The temple car rising to a height of 15.25 meters is profusely decorated, pulled out from its usual position and taken on a procession around the town. It is awe - inspiring sight.

Mansion of Ananda

Rangapillai Built in 1773, this mansion is a fine specimen of indo - French architecture. Ananda Rangapillai was the courtier of Joseph Francois Dupleix , the governor. The dairy which Rangapillai maintained between 1736 - 60 is a book of great value as a source of information on the history of Pondicherry and the French in India.

Eglise de Sacre Coeur De Jesus

Dedicated to the sacred heart of Jesus, this church is noted for its Gothic architecture and stained glass planes, which depict the entire life of Jesus Christ.

Anglo - French Textile mills

Establishment over a century ago, a visit to the Anglo - French Textile mills is an education in itself. The mill gives a ten percent rebate on purchases made by tourist who go on guided Tours. The acclaimed fabrics and products of this mill make ideal mementos and gifts.

PLACES OF INTEREST WITHIN 100kms (APPROX) OF PONDICHERRY THIRUVANNAMALAI: (108 kms from Pondicherry)


The temple has the history of several Hundreds years and built by several Kings during their period. The temple has been built by several Tamil kings such as Cholas and Pandiyas.And several small kings donated and built several small things.

Importance :

This temple is one of the "Panch Boodha Sthalams" and it is "Agni" Sthalam. It has also the importance as "Padal PetraSthalam". That is the four famous 'Saiva Saints and Poets' such Appar, Sundarar, Manichkavasakar and Thirugnana Sambandar made several poems on Lord Arunachaleswara.

Structure of the Temple :

The structure of the temple well planned and built. It has seven prakaras and Nine great Towers. The Eastern tower was built by the King Krishnadevaraya in the Fifteenth Centuary. This tower is called 'Raja Gopuram' and it is the second largest tower in India. It is 217 feet high and was built by the stone.

The area of the Temple is 25 acres. It has two big tanks, one as 'Brhamma Theertam' and 'Siva Ganga Theertam'. It has also the 'Thousand Pillar Mantapam' which has thousand pillars in it.

GINGEE FORT

Nestled on three hills, and enclosed by a huge rampart 60 feet thick, stands the majestic GINGEE Fort, in the Villuppuram district, which is located on the Thindivanam to Thiruvannamalai road about 25 kms from Thindivanam and 130 kms from Chidambaram.

This 800Year old fort is shrouded in mystery,as the fort seems to have changed many hands times before it was annexed to the Vijayanagar empire.

The forts are located on either side of the road to T. V. Malai. They are open from 8.00 hrs. to 17.00 hrs. Any assistance can be sought at the ASI office or the ticket counter

Mahabalipuram (Mamallapuram)


 

Location
:
58-Km From Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Also Called
:
Mamallapuram, The City Of Bali
Famous
:
Centre For Pallava Culture And Arts
Important Festivals Celebrated
:
Dance Festival In The Month Of December

Globally renown for its shore temples, Mahabalipuram was the second capital of the Pallava kings of Kanchipuram. 58 kilometres from Madras on the Bay of Bengal, this tiny sea - side village of Mahabalipuram, is set in a boulder - strewn landscape. Tourists are drawn to this place by its miles of unspoiled beach and rock-cut art. The sculpture, here, is particularly interesting because it shows scenes of day-to- day life, in contrast with the rest of the state of Tamil Nadu, where the carvings generally depict gods and goddesses.

Shore Temple

Perched on a rocky outcrop, it presides over the shoreline, serving, as Percy Brown puts its, 'a landmark by day and a beacon by night'. Designed to catch the first rays of the rising sun and to illuminate the waters after dark, the temple ended up with an unusual lay-out. As the main shrine faces the sea on the east, the gateway, the fore count and the assembly hall of the Shore Temple all lie behind the sanctum.

Unusual, too, is the fact that the temple has shrine to both Shiva and Vishnu. The main sanctum and one of the two lesser ones on the west are dedicated to Shiva. The enclosing wall has a series of Nandi bulls on it.

Interconnected cisterns around the temple meant that the sea could be let in to transform the temple into a water shrine. But, in recent times, a stone wall as been added to protect the shrine from the rising seas and further erosion.

***KENDRIYA VIDYALAYA NO.2 PONDICHERRY ***